Sunday, February 19, 2012

San Juan Islands Lighthouses

We started looking at the San Juan lighthouses this evening. There are five:
-Burrows Island
-Cattle Point
-Lime Kiln
-Turn Point
-Patos Island

This poses a challenge.

Both Lime Kiln and Cattle Point are in state parks on San Juan Island. That's a simple day trip via ferry. But the other three have water only access...and not by ferry boat. So we are considering that we'll have to charter a boat to get our photos of those. I believe I've actually been to Patos when I was at summer camp as a kid on Orcas. I think I remember being on Matia or Sucia Island or was it Patos? Anyways, that could also be a day trip or we could make a long weekend with an overnight near Anacortes to visit all five at once.

Huh.

It's funny how when I started with just a list of names of all the Washington state lighthouses, I had no idea where any of them were located nor what it would actually take to see them all. This has been a wonderful family project so far!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...